Instagram is a great app for sharing photos and videos with your friends, but did you know that you can also restrict who can see your posts? In this blog post, we’ll explain what ‘restrict’ means on Instagram, and how to use it to hide your posts from specific people. We’ll also show you how to un-restrict your posts if you decide later that you want them to be seen by more people. So read on for all the details!
What does restrict mean on Instagram?
Before we answer this question, let’s try to answer some of the very important questions this post will bring up.
What happens when you restrict someone on Instagram?
When you restrict a person on Instagram, they will be unable to see your photos or videos, add you as a friend or invite you to follow them. In fact, if the person tries to do any of these things after being restricted from seeing your content, Instagram will tell them they can’t because they have been blocked from your account.
Their direct messages will go into your message requests.
You can see your requests by clicking ‘request’ in your settings. You’ll be able to check out their messages, and choose whether or not you want to un-restrict them in order to send them a message back.
Can Restricted People See Your Posts, Stories, Etc?
Restricted people aren’t able to see any of your stories, posts or live videos. They can’t comment on your photos and videos, but if they like them it will show up as a regular like on Instagram.
To keep things fair, restricted people can still follow you and view the public posts that you’re tagged in (such as when you post a photo on Facebook and tag the account in your story).
Will the future comments of that person be still visible?
No, the comment a friend or follow you. However, they can still comment on posts that you’re tagged in.
Does the Other Person Know When You Restrict Them?
No, there’s no way for them to know if you restrict their account. If they try to follow you, like your posts or view your story then unlike before you restricted them still think that everything is ok since the action won’t be successful.
What Happens to their Comments?
All of their comments on your posts will disappear. If the comment is on a post where you’re tagged, then the comment will still be visible if you want it to.
Can They See What You Post?
No, they won’t be able to see anything that you post. If you have a public account and you restrict someone, they will no longer be able to see any of your posts unless you un-restrict them.
Can I still message them?
Yes, you’ll still be able to send them messages. If they try to message you after being restricted from seeing your posts, the message will go into your requests. From there you’ll see it and can choose whether or not to un-restrict them if you want to reply.
How to restrict someone on instagram?
To restrict someone on Instagram,
- Go to their account and click the three dots in the top right corner of their profile.
- A menu should show up with an option that says ‘Block’.
- Click that option and it will ask you to confirm your choice.
- Click the confirm button.
- They won’t be able to see any of your posts unless you un-restrict them.
- From there, the account should be blocked and restricted from seeing your posts and content.
Restrict Someone From Comments Directly on Your Posts
If you don’t want a specific person to comment on your posts, then
- you can do this from the post by going to your story.
- From there click on the three dots in the top right corner of their comment.
- From there select ‘Hide from My Story’.
Again, they won’t be able to see any of your posts unless you un-restrict them.
Restrict Someone From Messages Directly From Your Profile
If you don’t want a specific person to send you messages, then
- You can do this from your profile.
- From there click on their username and select ‘Block’.
- Click confirm and their messages will go into your requests.
- They won’t be able to send you any messages directly.
Restrict From Settings
If you want to restrict someone, but don’t want to do it through your profile or one of their comments,
- you can go into the settings.
- Once there click on ‘Privacy and Safety’ and then scroll down until you see ‘Account restrictions’.
- From there you’ll be able to change who is allowed to follow you, who is allowed to comment on your posts, and whether or not you want them to be able to message you.
- To change all of the settings for this specific account at once, click ‘Edit’ next to their profile name.
- From there, select who can follow you and what they are allowed to do if they are able to follow you.
- If they are restricted from following you, then they won’t be able to access your profile at all.
- To change who can view your posts and the type of actions those people are allowed to take, click ‘Edit’ next to where it says ‘Comments and Likes’.
- Here you’ll see a list of your followers and whether or not they are allowed to view the posts, leave a comment, or like your posts.
If you change your mind and want to unrestrict them, Here is how to do it:
Do you want to un-restrict an Instagram user?
Let’s get started:
- Go to the list of people you’ve previously restricted.
- From here, select ‘remove’ next to their profile name.
- If there are multiple people you’d like to un-restrict at once, click on ‘Edit’ next to where it says ‘People’.
- Here you’ll be able to bulk edit who is allowed to see your posts, comment on them, etc.
- Select ‘un-restrict’ for any of the users that you’d like to remove from the list of people restricted.
- Click confirm and they’ll be able to once again like or comment on your posts.
- This will also allow them to follow you back if they previously weren’t able to.
What Happens to Comments When You Unrestrict Someone?
When you are restricted from someone’s posts, And Comments that were made by them will be reviewed. If they’ve been deleted or hidden after being posted, then they won’t show up when you’re not blocked.
If the comment is still live on your post when you unrestrict them, then they’ll be able to see that comment.
I hope this article was helpful in clearing up any confusion about what restrict on Instagram means. It’s an important setting to understand because it can impact how you view your own account and the accounts of others. Have you ever restricted someone on Instagram? Let us know why in the comments below!